120118 - Genesis 31 - taking revelation the wrong way

S: And the angel of God spake unto me in a dream, saying, Jacob: And I said, Here am I. And he said, Lift up now thine eyes, and see, all the rams which leap upon the cattle are ringstraked, speckled, and grisled: for I have seen all that Laban doeth unto thee. I am the God of Bethel, where thou anointedst the pillar, and where thou vowedst a vow unto me: now arise, get thee out from this land, and return unto the land of thy kindred. (Ge 31:11-13).
And God came to Laban the Syrian in a dream by night, and said unto him, Take heed that thou speak not to Jacob either good or bad. (Ge 31:24).
O: How God speaks to Laban is so different from how He speaks to Jacob. Even the way Laban interprets it is far different: "It is in the power of my hand to do you hurt: but the God of your father spake unto me yesternight, saying, Take thou heed that thou speak not to Jacob either good or bad." (Ge 31:29). Really??? Does he still think it's within his power to hurt Jacob if God warned him to not even SPEAK good or bad to Jacob?
A: This is an illustration of how God can speak to someone in His will and someone out of His will and their interpretation of the implications are very different. Laban makes a big show of how Jacob is getting away with something and makes Jacob vow and create a memorial of witness that he won't harm Laban (as if he ever plans to see Laban again!) in exchange for Laban's promise to be obedient to what God WARNED him not to do. And even with the direct revelation of God, Laban's chief concern is still the loss of his idols!
P: Father, I never want to find myself on the wrong side of your revelation to me. You are just and holy - and I will fully understand the truth and wisdom of everything you revealed to me when I am finally, ultimately redeemed in your presence. Now, I see things as in a glass, darkly. My interpretation is clouded by my self-interest and pride, as Laban's was. Help me fully understand and properly apply everything you reveal to me. I don't want to let any of your words fall to the ground.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have all contracted the virus....

2023—Week21: Ezra01-Nehemiah11; John19-Acts04

1 Samuel 28-29; Psalm 106; Romans 10