120110 - Genesis 19 - a Lot of toleration

S: And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground; And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night. And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat. (Genesis 19:1-3).
O: Like Abraham in chapter 18, Lot immediately recognizes the purity of the strangers (does he know they're angels? See Heb. 13:2) and shows them hospitality.
A: In the same chapter, the Lord shows us both Lot's faith and his deep compromise:
1) Faith, in that he welcomed the strangers into his home in spite of the danger to himself
2) Faith, in that he honored them as had Abraham
3) Faith, in that he immediately believed what they said

4) Compromise, in that he shamefully offered his up his virgin daughters to the corrupt men of the city
5) Compromise, in that he lost his married daughters and sons-in-law because they would not believe his testimony
6) Compromise, in that he had remained in such a wicked city
7) Compromise, in that he wanted to remain close in Zoar
8) Compromise in the rearing of his daughters in that, though virginal, they would come up with such a debased plan (30-36)

And yet, the angel said, "I cannot do anything until you arrive there" (v. 22 - compare with 2 Peter 2:6-9) - judgment could not fall until the righteous man was removed from ground zero. I suppose the lesson for me is that if I wallow in wicked culture, even though I am born again and do not lose salvation, I lose my discernment, I lose my wisdom, I lose my family members and I do not pass on my faith. As I've had to say about my youth, others would have been completely justified in asserting, "he doesn't belong to the Lord" - only God knows who are his. (2 Timothy 2:19)
P: Father, following that passage, your Word challenges, "let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity." Make me a vessel of honor, sanctified and fit for your use, and purge and protect me from such compromise, though I live in an unrighteous generation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have all contracted the virus....

2023—Week21: Ezra01-Nehemiah11; John19-Acts04

1 Samuel 28-29; Psalm 106; Romans 10