120112 - Genesis 22-23 - who, what, where, when and why

S: And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of. (Ge 22:2).
O: Abraham didn't even question God further like he did in Gen. 15:8. This sounds like Genesis 12:1:
Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: (Ge 12:1).

Hebrews 11:8 points out that Abraham's faith was shown in that he obeyed, going out without knowing where he was going.
A: Just like I require unquestioning obedience from my children (and don't often get it), God's direction shows that even the man whose actions would exemplify faith for us all, who would be said to be "father" to all who believe, (Romans 4:11), did not merit an explanation as a concession to his weakness and worry. Job, whose life exemplifies patience, (James 5:1), didn't get an answer. It is part of God's established character to not answer the questions, "why," "when" or "where." I should know that going into whatever He calls me to - yet I still tend to expect those things to be revealed to me when trouble comes. In fact, even knowing that He tests His exemplary servants like Abraham, I still tend to expect smooth sailing.
P: Father, this is what I want more than anything from my time in your Word - to know you better so I can love and serve you better. It always brings new challenges and more change for me, but I need to walk in truth rather than my own self-centered presumption.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have all contracted the virus....

2023—Week21: Ezra01-Nehemiah11; John19-Acts04

1 Samuel 28-29; Psalm 106; Romans 10