120107 - Genesis 13-14 - Faith: the attitude of abundance

S: "Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left." Genesis 13:9, KJV.

"And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered. Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee." Genesis 13:14-17, KJV.

O: It struck me today that God was training Abram to have faith in Him - rewarding his attitude of abundance, just as God's parade of animals before Adam was to show Himself as the provider. Many years later, Abraham knew God well enough to say to his servant, "I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and will come again unto you." (Genesis 22:5, c.f., Heb. 11:17-19)

A: Another way to describe faith is the attitude of abundance. Stingy people do not have strong faith: they rely on their possessions instead of God. If we trust that God will supply all our needs, (Philippians 4:19), that all we need will be added to us (Matt 6:33), that our good God will not give a stone to those who ask Him for bread, (Luke 11:11) we are still growing in faith.

P: Father, increase my faith in you, as you worked with Adam and Abram to increase their faith. I know you are trustworthy, but I am still far more comforted when I have more of my own resources.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have all contracted the virus....

2023—Week21: Ezra01-Nehemiah11; John19-Acts04

1 Samuel 28-29; Psalm 106; Romans 10