1 Kings 19-20; Psalm 121; John 9

July 4: Do I think I would, by natural means, make better decisions than Elijah or the Pharisees? Not at all; I try to look at myself with as skeptical an eye as we’re supposed to look at all men, even those in the Biblical accounts. But if I am to learn as I should from these stories, I should pay careful attention to God’s response to every person, recognize both courage and weakness, blindness and sight, in myself and others, and to be grateful for God’s willingness to help and strengthen, preserve and provide opportunity to testify for my limited time here.

1 Kings 19-20: If not for Elijah’s weakness in Horeb, would he have had a longer ministry? Was the revelation of the anointing of Hazael, Jehu and Elisha a judgment against Ben Hadad, Ahab and Elijah or a consolation to a prophet who was pressed beyond strength? There’s yet more for Elijah to do, so I don’t think it’s really a judgment, for, if it was, I think it would be swift and decisive. I think that showing Elijah a peek at the next generation of leadership was meant to give him hope that his own ministry had been effective in moving things in a better direction.

Psalm 121: The Psalmist reminds us that the LORD is the One Who preserves us, who helps us, who keeps us. What is the Old Testament understanding of the eternal state? Skeptics claim there was no expectation of eternal life, yet Psalm 23:6 expresses David’s expectation to dwell in the house of the LORD forever, a theme taken up by Christ in John 14:1-3. Was Peter in 1 Peter 1:4-5 referencing the LORD’s promise to “keep” us expressed in passages like Psalm 121? “preserved… from this time forth, and even for evermore.” (Psalm 121:8)

John 9: So many claim that Jesus never laid a claim to deity, and yet here, He urges the blind man He healed to believe on the Son of God, saying that’s Him, (John 9:35-38), and receiving worship. By contrast the truly sad part of the chapter is the Pharisees’ question, “are we blind also?” I can’t imagine His response being stated with anger. Their eyes were opened. They had the knowledge of good and evil. (Gen. 2:17, 3:7) They had the Law. (Romans 5:13) There was no excuse. (Romans 2:1) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have all contracted the virus....

2023—Week21: Ezra01-Nehemiah11; John19-Acts04

1 Samuel 28-29; Psalm 106; Romans 10