Day 61: Deuteronomy 5-7

When God says, "O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever," (Deuteronomy 5:29), is that an expression of regret about the future He knows will come to pass? "They have well said all that they have spoken," He says. (Deuteronomy 5:28) God knows what could be, as well as what will come to pass. As sad as that makes me for the many shortcomings of my own walk with Him, it also reminds me of Romans 11:29, which in context is also about Israel, the Apostle Paul saying that God does not take back His calling or gifts because His wisdom, knowledge, judgments and ways are so deep. My own assurance of salvation, then, is grounded in this principle of mercy, omniscience and love for the Biblical characters I'm reading about, the fact that He still has Israel's future in mind. May the assurance of this generation of Christians, in spite of our failure to fear Him and keep His commandments, exhibit His mercy to that future generation of beloved Israel who will all be saved at once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have all contracted the virus....

2023—Week21: Ezra01-Nehemiah11; John19-Acts04

1 Samuel 28-29; Psalm 106; Romans 10