110921 - Psalm 114-116 - Not to us, but to Your Name Be the Glory

S: Their idols are silver and gold,
the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but do not speak;
eyes, but do not see.
They have ears, but do not hear;
noses, but do not smell.
They have hands, but do not feel;
feet, but do not walk;
and they do not make a sound in their throat.
Those who make them become like them;
so do all who trust in them. (Psalm 115:4-8)

O: I can almost picture this Psalm in an orchestral arrangement, with the heathen represented as bowing down to idols and pantomiming looking around for Israel's. How foolish the vanity of idolatry appears as God mocks it and the worshippers of the work of human hands.

A: The humility of worship of God is contrasted with the hubris of idol-worship: in Acts 19, as Paul visits Ephesus, we see the true source of concern: not for the glory of the false god Diana, but for the vanity and income of the silversmiths. (Acts 19:24-34) There is no middle ground: either to God's name, or ultimately to my own, I will give glory. God is loving and faithful, He is able to bless those who fear Him, and He owns it all. If I serve myself, it is shameful vanity.

P: To you alone, Lord, I will give praise - I will not honor men or the work of their hands. You are my help and my shield and I will bless you from this time forth and forever more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have all contracted the virus....

2023—Week21: Ezra01-Nehemiah11; John19-Acts04

1 Samuel 28-29; Psalm 106; Romans 10